Two different upcoming events about DIY: DIY-conference / Incubate festival. With: Simon Reynolds, Mark Fisher, The Quietus, Annette Dölle ,Robert Levine, Santiago Sierra and Chris Jones. + Do It Yourself Night / W139 with: Caroline Woolard, Florian Riviere and Street Wisdom.
For the first time the successful conference at Incubate festival will be held on two days. In Theater De NWE Vorst, Tilburg (The Netherlands) an extensive program about Do It Yourself culture will be hosted on Friday September 14th and Saturday September 15th. With the addition of Robert Levine (who was executive editor of entertainment magazine Billboard) and Mark Fisher (author of Capitalist Realism), besides speakers like Simon Reynolds and Roy Wilkinson, the speaker program has been completed. Tickets are already available and the visitor can name his or her own price. Check http://incubate-innovation.org/ for further info and other updates regarding the DIY Conference.
Friday September 14:
- DIY: an update with Simon Reynolds
- Mark Fisher: Capitalism, Is There No Alternative?
- The Biggest Band in the World: a Q&A with Damo Suzuki
- The Avant Garde is Only Good If You Can Fuck, Dance or Take Drugs To It (panel hosted by The Quietus, with Simon Reynolds, Aidan Moffat and others)
- The amateur vs. the professional: visual arts, Open Source and the curator’s role in 2012 (panel)
- Annette Dölle: How to change an Individual Dream into a Collective Act?
- DIY, independence… Do You Even Care? (panel hosted by Gonzo (circus))
- How internet changes the way Western and non-Western artists collaborate (Generation Bass panel)
- It's The End of the Web As We Know It; Speakers program hosted by Freshheads
- Masterclass Center for Artistic Activism
Saturday September 15:
- Robert Levine: How Digital Parasites are Destroying the Culture Business, and How the Culture Business Can Fight Back
- The Guerilla Filmmakers Guide with Chris Jones
- A wunderbar prog-prose showcase: British Sea Power, Bird Watching and the End of Rock by Roy Wilkinson
- How To Run Your Record Label (panel with Sacred Bones, who have a label showcase at Incubate, Holy Roar and Reflections Records)
- What’s Wrong with Selling Out? (panel hosted by The Quietus, with John Robb and Mats Gustafsson among others)
- Jasper Visser: The Museum of the Future
- New Kids on the Blog (panel with The 405, Disco Naïveté and No Fear Of Pop)
- Do It Yourself, But Not Alone & The Importance of a Creative Approach to Entrepreneurship
- Short films: the freedom to stay independent and radical? (panel)
- It's The End of the Web As We Know It Speakers program hosted by Freshheads
- Masterclass Santiago Sierra
Tuesday 4 Sep
Do It Yourself! NIGHT
Wake up your inner superhero
No money for an expensive gym? Use the city as your personal fitness studio instead. No colours in your town? Paint it yourself. No kindergarten in your street? Open an alternative kindergarten with your friends! The issue at stake is not how we will survive financially, but how we are going to change the world. We've invited international artists, activists and hackers. In a series of workshops they will provide you with a practical toolbox and strategies to start a playful revolution in your local environment and to get involved with your community. Become the change you would like to see!
Trust is the new currency Since the world financial system collapsed – let’s leave money out of the game. Barter your possessions to get what you need – exchange your time and skills for other goods, space and services without using money. Do It Yourself! NIGHT is the first barter-only event in Amsterdam. It means that you can't buy a ticket but you can decide what you want to exchange in order to participate in this event, like for instant baking pancakes for our speakers or learning them Dutch in exchange for participating in their workshop.
Do It Yourself! NIGHT is an experiment by Fringe FUEL, Street Wisdom University and W139 – alternative space for contemporary art in the centre of Amsterdam.
Starts 19:30 at W139
We don’t accept money. Do It Yourself! NIGHT is a barter-only event. It means that you can't buy a ticket but you can decide what you want to exchange in order to participate in this event.
Workshops by: Caroline Woolard (American artists and activist promoting tools and strategies for the non-monetary exchange system), Florian Riviere (French urban hacktivist reclaiming the public space for citizens), Street Wisdom (transforms streets and cities around the world into ‘guerilla’ universities).
Do It Yourself! NIGHT
by Fringe FUEL
4 September 2012 at W139
7.30 pm /// DEFING THE QUESTION
At 7.30 pm four (or more) groups of max. 12 students gather at four different
locations equally distanced from W139 (app. a 30 min walk; locations to be chosen by
the guides). Each group has a guide – Fringe FUEL speaker – who will train the
students in expanding their perception of the everyday reality surrounding them.
While converging W139, the students will be challenged to sense the reality around
them in a different way: They might learn for example that one of the shopkeepers is
actually a university professor, that a barman is an exc-onvict and that one of the
inhabitants is an ex pop star. Why don’t we for example engage in a conversation
with the baker about his/her opinion on starvation in the world, if he is dealing with
actually making and selling bread everyday?
The idea is that the students have gained after the walk a new perception of the every
day life and will enter the following masterclass by the guides, conducted in W139,
with an inspiration on how to hack reality.
8.30 pm /// INSPIRATION FOR FIDING THE SOLUTION
At 8.30 pm all students and guides gather at W139 for a series of 20 min presentations
by the guides about their own projects on hacking reality, providing the participants
with some practical tools to change the reality around.
Caroline Woolard (Trust is the new currency – Revolution through relationships)
Florian Rivière (Hack the City, Play the City)
David Pearl and Peter Merry (Street Wisdome)
9:30 pm /// BARTER BUFFET
10.00 pm /// GETTING RESOURCES TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM
The barter market at 10.00 pm shall serve as a trading platform for the participants,
where they can exchange their skills and talents for future projects. The aim of the
barter market is to exchange knowledge and services directly with the knowledge and
services offered by the others without using money as a medium of exchange.
11.00 pm /// AFTERPARTY
At 11.00 pm we close the day with a dj set by EINDBAAS DJ Kla (he bartered his
particiaption in the DIY! NIGHT for this set), drinks and snacks.
Caroline Woolard (US) /// American artist, activist and cofounder of OurGoods and
Trade School – a barter network for the creative community, promoting tools and
strategies for the non-monetary exchange systems in creating processes and lifelong
Florian Rivière (FR) /// French urban hacker, founder of the collective Democratie
Creative active in the public space of Strasbourg. Inspired by the hacker culture, he
reinvests and diverts public space to allow citizens to reclaim their environment. His
interventions, located between urban design "Do It Yourself" and upcycling
(upgrading waste), have the particularity to be spontaneous and raw, exclusively made
with objects found in the street, and always with humor.
David Pearl and Peter Merry from Street Wisdom University /// transform the
streets in cities around the world into „guerilla“ universities. Their main idea is that
there is a universe worth learning out there every day, if we only stop and listen more
closely. The aim is to encourage people to share their individual knowledge with each
other. There is more wisdom to share, than merely the institutionalized one.